Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Trade the league MVP? Be serious

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
June 20, 2012


LAS VEGAS — The Sunset Strip is set to shine the brightest of spotlights on one Evgeni Vladimirovich Malkin: By the time dusk blankets the Nevada desert Wednesday, barring some collective brain seizure among voters in the Professional Hockey Writers Association, the Penguins’ megastar will be the runaway winner of his first Hart Trophy as the NHL’s MVP.

Could be quite the gala, especially in a grand setting, no?

“I don’t know. Very hot. I don’t like this,” No. 71 was saying yesterday inside the extravagant Wynn hotel, where the NHL Awards will be held tonight at 7. Outside, it was 106 degrees. “In here, it’s OK, I guess.”

And what of that trophy, on display nearby?

“Of course, I think everyone wants to win. I know the other guys want to win, too. But if I don’t win, it’s all right.”

Malkin was playing it cool, I’d have to guess, respectful of the other finalists, the Lightning’s Steven Stamkos and the Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist.

But be sure this will mean plenty. Neither Malkin nor anyone with a sliver of competitive spirit enjoys spending his or her life considered No. 2, whether it’s being selected right behind lifelong rival Alexander Ovechkin atop the 2004 draft, or even, yes, riding eternal shotgun with Sidney Crosby.

I brought those up, and it was as close as Malkin came to confessing anticipation.

“You know, it’s good for me. Always second,” he said with a smile. “Maybe this time, it’s my first chance to be No. 1.”

Validation or not, nothing about Malkin is No. 2 anymore, nor a 1A or 1B or whatever other designations were assigned to him over the years. Certainly not when compared to Ovechkin, who can’t sniff Malkin’s vapor trails anymore. Maybe not even when compared to Crosby.

(Stops typing and ducks for cover.)

Fact is, Malkin wasn’t anyone’s No. 2 in 2011-12, even after Crosby returned. He raised his game to a fresh level with a career-best 50 goals and a league-best 109 points, this despite the slow start caused by a surgically repaired knee, plus incessantly facing opponents’ checking lines. His skating, stickhandling and shooting were at top-shelf form. He saw the ice and passed better than ever, having finally found chemistry mates in James Neal and Chris Kunitz. He even led the Penguins in defensive takeaways.

And it followed, in no coincidence, Malkin’s most diligent offseason of conditioning.

As he put it yesterday, “I had a good season, but I worked at it. I didn’t want to stay at the same level. I wanted to be better.”

He added that he’ll be engaged in intensive workouts again this summer in Russia with Mike Kadar, the Penguins’ strength coach. It’s not unthinkable he could come back even better.

And some hockey fans in Pittsburgh are debating whether or not Ray Shero should trade this extraordinary player?

Seriously?

Over one playoff series?

Let me step back here and state clearly my preference for the Penguins related to their big three centers: Keep all of them. Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal. I know it’s easier said than done, but it was good to hear Shero tell reporters yesterday that his only priority related to Staal right now is re-signing him. Let’s hope Staal feels the same way. I believe he does. All he wants is more power-play time and to be paid his worth. Both look to be workable.

Malkin’s stance: “I hope we keep him. Jordan Staal’s a great player.”

But if they can’t, there is no way you move Malkin instead. It’s stunning that this gets suggested even in jest.

Yes, Staal was better in the playoffs, but not nearly as much as some think. Staal had six goals and three assists in the six games against the Flyers. Malkin had one fewer point on three goals and five assists, but he also outshot Staal, 26-12.

Most complaints I hear are about the boneheaded penalties Malkin took. It’s a valid criticism. I get that it lingers.

It still bugs him, too.

“I learn something from every season,” Malkin said. “I didn’t play in the last playoffs, and I was nervous for this one. It’s not like the regular season.”

So big deal. Turn the page.

This franchise holds the rights to the player about to be honored as the best in the world. He’s 25, he wants to play “in Pittsburgh for a long time” as he reiterated yesterday, and he’s only getting better.

Good luck sifting through sports history and finding examples where trading guys like that worked out for the sellers.

No comments: