Monday, January 04, 2010

Parker shows burst in possible finale

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/
Monday, January 4, 2010

MIAMI - Willie Parker said goodbye the right way on Sunday.

It was 2007 all over again, when Parker led the NFL in rushing until breaking his leg late in the season.

Or 2005-2006, with the Steelers putting the ball and the outcome of games in Parker's capable hands.

PITTSBURGH - OCTOBER 25: Willie Parker #39 of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs against the Minnesota Vikings at Heinz Field on October 25, 2009 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh won 27-17. (Getty Images)

Time after time in the closing five minutes, with starting running back Rashard Mendenhall watching from the sideline, the Steelers called Parker's number, choosing the run over the pass in a surprising about-face.

Parker was a fixture in the Steelers' final drive, which resulted in Jeff Reed's 33-yard field goal in a 30-24 win over the Miami Dolphins.

"They just said, 'Three-nine. Get in there,' and a smile came to my face,'' Parker said of his late-game insertion.

You remember Parker - No. 39 - don't you?

He's the third-leading rusher in Steelers history, with 5,378 career yards on 1,253 carries and 24 touchdowns.

His 75-yard burst against Seattle in Super Bowl XL is the longest run from scrimmage in Super Bowl history.

Left tackle Max Starks, who played right tackle against the Seahawks, still recalls the run with vivid clarity.

"Willie and I came in the league together as snot-nosed rookies," Starks said. "We fought though a lot of adversity and a lot of changes. I look back to our second year. He became a starter, and I became a starter, and we won the Super Bowl.

"I remember blocking down on (Seattle linebacker) Lofa Tatupu and springing Willie on that touchdown run. You look back and say that was a hell of a run.''

And now it's over. Parker, an unrestricted free agent, likely played his final game with the Steelers on Sunday.

Given that Mendenhall was a first-round pick a year ago and became a starter this season, Parker is no longer a good fit in the offense.

"I'm a starter,'' said Parker, who carried 12 times for 91 yards against the Dolphins. "Until I hang up the pads, that's what I'm going to look at myself as.''

The more Parker spoke, the more emotional he became.

He addressed the team that brought him in as an undrafted free agent from North Carolina, and the fans who knew him as Fast Willie Parker.

"If that's the last you see of Willie Parker, I want to thank the organization, thank the fans for embracing me," he said. "Knowing the college career that I had, I came here and really did some things. I had six great years with the Steelers.''

The last two years weren't so great for Parker.

Slowed by knee and shoulder injuries, Parker rushed for 791 yards in 2008 following three consecutive 1,200-yard-plus seasons.

This season was much worse for Fast Willie, who - because of a painful case of turf toe - at times resembled Slow Willie.

Parker rushed for only 389 yards and failed to run for a touchdown for only the second time in his career.

"It was tough," he said. "At times, I was frustated, and I really felt like hurting somebody. But I talked to my teammates, I prayed a lot, I talked to my family, and they kind of kept me up, kept a smile on my face.

"I love these guys, I love this organization. I'm a Steeler right now. Just see what happens in the future.''

Parker displayed yesterday he can still play the game. His burst was back, and he hit the holes with speed and power.

His 34-yard sprint late in the contest was his longest run of the season.

"If Willie's not back next year, I''ll be cheering for him - I'll always be a fan of No. 39,'' Starks said. "You give him a two-back situation (with another team), I think he can be a great back.''

No comments: