Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Improved health elevates Sanchez's play

By Rob Biertempfel, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/
Wednesday, April 15, 2009

For the first time in a couple of years, Pirates second baseman Freddy Sanchez was healthy enough to throw himself into the start of the season.

Sanchez was hobbled by a sprained knee throughout spring training in 2007. Last spring, Sanchez had shoulder problems which lingered into the regular season.

So far this year, Sanchez is back to being his old self.

"I think (being healthy has) rejuvenated him a little bit," manager John Russell said.

Sanchez said his preparation this past offseason was key.

"I tried to get into the best shape I could," he said. "I got stronger. I came in with a new attitude, a clean slate. I'm trying to keep it going every day."

Sanchez went 3 for 5 with two runs scored in Monday's 7-0 home-opener victory over the Houston Astros. He had three doubles, one shy of the franchise's single-game record set in 1932 by Hall of Famer Paul Waner. He is tied with the New York Mets' Ryan Church with an NL-leading six doubles.

"Freddy looks like he's poised to go out and have a very good year," general manager Neal Huntington said. "He is an aggressive hitter. He can put bad balls in play very well. His pivot at second base has gotten better. He's moving better."

Through seven games, Sanchez is batting .375. His on-base plus slugging percentage is 1.031.

Through the first seven games last season, Sanchez was batting .208 with two RBI and had a .286 on-base percentage.

Sanchez was even more of a wreck in the field a year ago. With his shoulder still weak after offseason surgery, Sanchez could barely toss the ball to first base.

"There were things last year that I couldn't do, defensively," Sanchez said. "I felt like I had to field ground balls differently. I couldn't just go on reaction. It was always in the back of my mind: How's it going to feel when I throw?

"It's different now. I feel like I can go out there and make the plays that I know I should."

That was apparent during Sunday's game in Cincinnati, when Sanchez participated in two defensive gems.

In the sixth inning, the Reds had a runner at first base with one out. Ramon Hernandez hit a sharp grounder up the middle, which shortstop Jack Wilson speared.

Flat on his stomach, Wilson flipped the ball out of his glove to Sanchez.

"Freddy's very athletic, so I can kind of put the ball anywhere I want and know he'll get it," Wilson said.

Sanchez caught it, pivoted smoothly and went airborne to complete the double play.

"It's instinct and reaction," Sanchez said. "Jack made a great play. It all happened so quick."

In the eighth, the Reds had runners at first and second with none out. Edwin Encarnacion hit a blooper, which Wilson caught. That set off a 6-4-3 triple play: Wilson to Sanchez to first baseman Adam LaRoche.

"Freddy and I looked at each other like, 'Was there nobody out? Either we just looked like idiots and turned three when there already was one out or we just did something special,' " Wilson said. "It was special, so that's good. We didn't look like idiots."

No comments: