Friday, February 01, 2008

Super Bowl Notebook: Tall receiver flap overblown, Roethlisberger says

Thursday, January 31, 2008
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette



PHOENIX - JANUARY 30: (L-R) Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck of the Seattle Seahawks and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals attend the Pro Bowl news conference prior to Super Bowl XLII at the Phoenix Convention Center on January 30, 2008 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

PHOENIX -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, in town for his first Pro Bowl promotional news conference, said last night he has no problem with Hines Ward and no knowledge of any progress on a new contract for himself.

"I haven't heard anything yet, but I leave that between the Steelers and my agent," Roethlisberger said. "All I can say is what I've said, and that's that I want to stay in Pittsburgh."

Roethlisberger has two years remaining on his current contract, the point at which the Steelers have commonly begun negotiations with starting quarterbacks who figure prominently in their long-term plans.

As for last week's Ward blowup, Roethlisberger said he and the star wideout have talked about Ward's comments, and his own, and laughed about the whole public byplay.

"What I was asked was, 'What else would I like?' " Roethlisberger said. "I don't want to change anything. I like the team we have. Hines just said how he felt about it, but Hines and I are fine. I have no problem with Hines."

Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette that the club might benefit from having a tall receiver. Ward, who is 6 feet, pointed out that the Steelers won the Super Bowl without one.

In the formal Pro Bowl news conference, Roethlisberger was asked specifically about former Steeler Plaxico Burress in another context.

"Plax was my neighbor, my friend, my teammate," Roethlisberger said. "I hope he does well on Sunday."

Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, seated next to Roethlisberger, then quipped, "Translation: He hates the Patriots."

Roethlisberger laughed, but quickly added his admiration for Patriots superstar Tom Brady.

"Someone asked what superhero I'd like to be and I said Tom Brady," he said.

"He just makes it look so easy. We go out there and try to do it, and it doesn't feel easy."

No comments: