Sunday, December 16, 2007

Polamalu in the crosshairs

Sunday, December 16, 2007
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette



Sat around with Troy Polamalu for nearly an hour the other day, talking money, among other subjects.

It was a fascinating conversation.

Polamalu is the Steelers' highest-paid player and will be until Ben Roethlisberger does a new deal after the season. That is a blessing for all the obvious reasons. A $33 million contract provides a lot of peace of mind. But it also can be a burden. The expectations rise. It's no longer good enough for Polamalu to be a Pro Bowl safety. He has to be All-World. He has to make a dozen big plays every game. He has to lead the team to a division title and the Super Bowl.

It's not working that way for Polamalu, at least not so far.

Yes, the Steelers still are on track to win the AFC North. But they hardly looked like a Super Bowl contender in that three-touchdown beating at New England last Sunday. It shouldn't shock anyone if they lose at home today to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

It's also true the Steelers' defense still ranks No. 1 in the NFL despite giving up 399 passing yards and four touchdowns to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. But Polamalu hasn't had the same noticeable impact on it, and not just because he missed the past three games with a knee injury. He doesn't have a sack this season. He doesn't have an interception. Chances are he won't make the Pro Bowl for the first time in four seasons when the rosters are announced Tuesday, although those teams often are based on reputation rather than performance.

"I'm just trying to make the Pittsburgh Steelers right now," Polamalu said.

That's not the problem. Polamalu will play today. He injured his right knee when he banged it against the turf at Giants Stadium in the game against the New York Jets Nov. 18 -- "Please, please, please, Mr. Rooney, keep the grass at Heinz Field," he said -- and would have played against the Patriots if not for a knee-on-knee collision with a teammate in practice a few days before the game.

What's troubling is no one knows what to expect from Polamalu this afternoon. He missed three games with a similar knee injury late last season, then returned against the Baltimore Ravens and was beaten for long touchdowns by wide receivers Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

"That was me, that wasn't my knee," Polamalu said. "I was beaten, and they put the ball right on the money. I remember my wife saying after the game, 'That Steve McNair is the greatest quarterback ever!'"

Polamalu and the Steelers will face another good one today -- David Garrard. He has thrown just one interception in 274 attempts, which isn't encouraging, especially considering the Steelers have just eight interceptions. But the Jaguars don't ask Garrard to win games the way the Patriots do with Brady. Polamalu said their formula is the same as the 15-1 Steelers from '04: Run the ball and play good defense.

"Fred Taylor is probably the best back I've seen in the NFL and Maurice Jones-Drew is on his way to being a great one," Polamalu said. "We definitely have to stop the run first."



The Steelers will ask Polamalu to help with that. They'll ask him to disguise his blitzes and coverages to confuse the young Garrard. And they'll ask him to make the plays that are there.

The rest of us, I'm guessing, will ask for a lot more.

"It's crazy," Polamalu said. "Am I supposed to make a play here" -- he tapped the center of the cafeteria table -- "when I make this amount of money and make plays here, here, here and here" -- he tapped the four corners of the table -- "because I make more? That's just crazy."

Not that the expectations change how Polamalu plays.

"I have to play the same techniques if I'm playing for free or for Bill Gates money," he said. "It's not like I see the ball coming and it's green and I'm thinking, 'I've got to make this play because I make the most money.'

"People can expect anything they want. My expectations for myself are always going to be higher. They can throw cups at the television when I get beat, but it hurts me 100 times worse.

"I know what defense we're playing and what I'm supposed to be doing. I could have two interceptions and two sacks and you'd say, 'Troy, you were great.' But I might have been the one beaten on a play when you're thinking, 'That's Ike Taylor's fault.' I know. That's why I've left good games and even Pro Bowl and All-Pro and Super Bowl seasons feeling a little disappointed."

Polamalu said he has had chances to make plays this season -- and failed on some -- but not as many opportunities as he had in other seasons. He knows the plays he has missed could cost him that Pro Bowl trip.

"I'd like to go again. I think everyone wants to make it," he said. "There's nothing better than going from the Super Bowl to the parade to the Pro Bowl. I remember being at the Pro Bowl [after the '05 season] and riding down in the elevator with John Lynch, Steve Hutchinson and Peyton Manning. We beat all three of those guys in the playoffs that year."

Polamalu grinned. He loved that elevator ride.

This season, though, it's clear Polamalu gladly would settle for two out of three. Who really needs another Hawaii trip if you get to the Super Bowl and that victory parade? He's not ruling it out happening for the Steelers despite that whipping in New England.

"That game was embarrassing. Embarrassing to all of us. But, quite honestly, it was probably the best thing for this team right now. We know we've got a long way to go."

Everybody, Polamalu said.

Starting with the highest-paid guy.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.
First published on December 16, 2007 at 12:00 am

No comments: