Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bucs' LaRoche wants playoffs, not .500



By Rob Biertempfel
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 22, 2007

BRADENTON, Fla. - The first full-squad spring training workout is a day for high hopes and feel-good stories.
So when the Pirates tugged on their gear and stepped onto the grass Wednesday afternoon, there was a rush of optimism that maybe -- just maybe -- this is the year they reach .500.

Adam LaRoche, one of the newest Pirates and a huge building block for the team's future, wanted none of that.

LaRoche demands more than just a break-even record.

"I don't think in three years (with Atlanta), I don't ever think I heard the word .500 mentioned," LaRoche said. "That's what I want to bring over here. I don't want to do it in a way like, 'This is how it is. I know everything.' I want to feel these guys out and, hopefully, we'll get to the point where we come to spring training with a common goal, and that's the playoffs."

LaRoche began his career with the Atlanta Braves, and he slugged 65 home runs over three seasons. Last season was the first time since 1990 that the Braves did not make the postseason.

"In my opinion, if you don't get in the playoffs, it's a losing season," LaRoche said. "Just getting to .500 is never going to be my goal, and I'd like to get that out of everybody's heads here. But, that's easy for me to say because I haven't been here playing with these guys and I haven't seen the struggles and frustrations."

LaRoche is aware the Pirates are riding a string of 14 consecutive losing seasons. That dismal run discouraged him, he admits, when he first heard he had been traded from Atlanta.

But LaRoche said he felt better about the situation after meeting with general manager Dave Littlefield and manager Jim Tracy.

"It's refreshing to see the direction they want to go," LaRoche said. "They don't want to stay a mediocre team."

LaRoche was a little surprised by the enthusiasm he felt from fans when he was in Pittsburgh last month for PirateFest.

"My dad played for a long time, up in Cleveland and for other northern teams," LaRoche said. "My mom told me, 'You're going to love it up there. Those are true fans, not like in some southern cities.' "


Newly acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche greets Hall of Famer Bill Mazeroski before the Pirates' first full squad spring training workout at Bradenton, Fla.

In Atlanta, divisional-round playoff games have not been sellouts in recent years.

"They're 100 percent spoiled," LaRoche said. "They got so used to it, it's like, 'Hurry up and get to the World Series and then we'll show up.' It's not that easy."

Even after watching LaRoche's smooth swing launch deep fly balls off the fences at Pirate City yesterday, Tracy and Littlefield played it cool about the new first baseman.

"He worked out. That's it," Tracy said.

"I do sense there is a little bit of an uplift," Littlefield said. "This is something that will help us. But I think when you look around there are a lot of good things happening."

However, LaRoche is well aware he faces giant expectations this season.

"I love it," LaRoche said. "In Atlanta, there were enough older guys -- Chipper (Jones), Andruw (Jones), (John) Smoltz -- that took on that responsibility. I feel lucky I was able to sit around for three years and learn from them, just the little things about leadership and about taking a team on your shoulders.

"This is my turn on a young team. It will be a little different, but I think I'm ready for it."


Rob Biertempfel can be reached at rbiertempfel@tribweb.com or (412) 320-7811.

No comments: