Wednesday, December 20, 2006

At last, Cowher discusses his coaching future with local reporters


Wednesday, December 20, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher could prowl the Steelers' sideline for the final time at Heinz Field Sunday, yet he said it will hold no special significance for him, nor will he reflect on it possibly being his last home game as coach.

"I compliment you for asking the question," Cowher said at his news conference yesterday, five days after the Pittsburgh media was blocked from asking questions about his admitted upcoming decision whether to retire or stay on as the Steelers' coach.

"I said it will be decided after the season, it will not be a knee-jerk reaction. ... There's been no decision made. It will be something I will need to get away from and give some serious thought to, and I will do that -- at the right time. Now is not the right time."

Cowher entertained other questions about his future, but he cut anyone off before they could ask how long it would take him to decide or if the outcome of this season might have a bearing on his decision. He ended further questions when he was asked if money would play into his decision.
"I'm not going to get into that. We're done talking," Cowher said in what generally was a pleasant response by him to a subject that has festered since negotiations to extend his contract ended in August. Cowher essentially ended questions on the topic back then, and he did so again yesterday. "We're done. I tried to answer the question, but I'm not going to elaborate."

For the first time, he revealed that he also was torn whether to retire after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Although the Post-Gazette has reported that associates said he considered retiring after the 2005 season, Cowher admitted as much yesterday for the first time.

"Yes, I did," Cowher said. "And nobody asked me any questions about that last year."

What about after the previous season, when the Steelers went 15-1 and lost at home in an AFC championship game for the third consecutive time?

"I don't know," Cowher answered. "These are things I've never discussed publicly. I don't think they need to be discussed publicly. I answered the question last week [in a conference call to media in Charlotte, N.C.,] because they are not up here and privy to everybody's understanding of what's taken place."

Cowher and his wife bought a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., and Kaye Cowher and their youngest daughter have since moved there. That transaction, made last fall, became public in March and began the stream of speculation about the coach's future that has gained momentum the past few weeks as the regular season nears its end.

The Steelers and Cowher ended talks during training camp on an extension to his contract, which runs through the 2007 season. There has been speculation Cowher would retire after this season to spend time with his wife and daughter, Lindsay, who is a high school sophomore in Raleigh, where she enrolled this year and where she plays basketball.

The Cowhers' two eldest girls play basketball at Princeton -- Meagan, a junior, and Lauren, a freshman. Princeton plays at Duquesne Friday night, when the entire Cowher family will reunite.

"It's been killing my dad not to see us playing," Lauren was quoted as saying "... Once the football season is over, he will be at Princeton a lot."

Watching his daughters play basketball would not play into his retirement decision, Cowher said.
"No. I don't want to go into any detail. It would be no different.

"They've been playing basketball up there for a couple of years now. I'll have a chance to see Lindsay. I've already had a chance to see her play once and I'll get to see here again after the season.

"There will be a lot of things to go into [a decision], but now is not the time to talk about it. But I want to at least answer your question so that I don't come across as someone who is being terse."

Cowher said he has not tired of coaching nor gotten "burned out."

"I don't think so. Do I look burned out? Honestly I'm not. I love the challenges and love this time of year."

Cowher insisted he has not decided whether he will return as Steelers coach or not. Asked how long the indecision has been going on, Cowher said jovially, "What, these inner thoughts with myself?

"Me and this little guy, we've been talking quite a bit. I'm not having psychological problems if you're implying that. I'm fine. We do get into arguments every now and then. Go for it? Don't go for it?

"I was even asking a policeman the other day down in Carolina: 'Would you go for it if we're short?' The guy said yeah and pulled out his Pittsburgh Steelers pen. I said, 'Yeah, easy for you to say, you're standing over there.' So I kicked the field goal."

(Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com. )

No comments: