Thursday, September 07, 2006

Steelers honor Bettis with a special permanent locker


Thursday, September 07, 2006
By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A couple hundred Steelers fans -- many of them sporting the number 36 on their black-and-gold jerseys -- gathered at Heinz Field yesterday to see the team unveil its latest display of greatness: a locker honoring retired running back Jerome Bettis.

The locker, one of 20 from Three Rivers Stadium commemorating Steelers greats, stands in the Coca-Cola Great Hall, where fans will be able to see it whenever they come to see their team play.

Bettis, who has begun a new career as a television football analyst, was introduced by Steelers president Art Rooney II, who hailed him as "one of the greatest running backs of all time."
Then Bettis took the stage. Just as he had so many times before, he started out kind of slow. But once he got rolling ...

Seemingly at a loss for words as he began speaking, Bettis quickly hit his stride as he shared his thoughts.

"When I retired, I thought everything was great," he said. "Being back here, I didn't think I would miss it as much [as I do]."

He went on to praise the Steelers' organization, the Rooney family, the city and its fans, and thanked them "for the opportunity to live out my dream."

"As my years increased here, and the wins and the losses came, and the hard times came, and ultimately the good times came, I got to see what it's all about," he said.

"I am extremely grateful and honored to put my locker where all the great players who have played in Pittsburgh reside."

One of the highlights of the display, Bettis said, is the robe that he would wear in the locker room after games. At first, he said, the guys all teased him about it.

"But after a couple years, I saw a lot guys wearing robes."

The locker also includes awards Bettis received for his football accomplishments, his civic work and even his bowling. He also included some shoes and a uniform, magazines and playbooks, ballcaps and a bobblehead. And, finally, a photograph of him kissing the Vince Lombardi Trophy after February's victory against Seattle.

"It has really truly been an honor to have played for you," he said, speaking without notes. "To spend 10 years in Pittsburgh and for you all to cheer for me. Thank you, I appreciate it."

Among the fans in attendance was Diana Vetterly, 66, of Avalon, and her son, Tim. Although she isn't a Steelers ticket-holder and has never been to a game at Heinz Field, she said she felt as though she had to be at yesterday's ceremony.

"He's my man. I've always liked him," she said. "I'm disappointed that he's retiring, but it's the right time."

After the ceremony, she was among the fans who edged forward to greet the man they call "The Bus." She was rewarded with a hug and a handshake.

"He deserves all the glory he gets," she said, her eyes filled with tears.

(Dan Majors can be reached at dmajors@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1456. )

No comments: