Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bob Smizik: Sanchez Erasing Doubts With Stellar Play, All-Star Selection


Monday, July 03, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In April, when he batted .333, you knew it wouldn't last. It didn't. It got better.

In May, when he batted .360, you knew it wouldn't last. It didn't. It got better.

In June, when he batted .380, you knew it wouldn't last. It didn't. It got better.

The amazing season of Freddy Sanchez continues to reach new and higher ground as the doubters drift away. The doubters, in fact, are almost gone. Most certainly, Jim Leyland, manager of the best team in baseball, is not one of them. He's a believer and proved it in the most surprising manner.

Sanchez, the Pirates' second choice at third base this season, was named to the National League All-Star team yesterday, and while that once might have raised cries of astonishment, not any more.

If the leading hitter in the league doesn't belong on the All-Star team, who does?

Sanchez continued his improbable season yesterday at PNC Park with three hits and four RBIs to raise his average to .363, passing Nomar Garciaparra as the league's leading hitter.

As so often has been the case this season, a superior performance by Sanchez could not save the Pirates, who spotted the Detroit Tigers a seven-run lead at PNC Park and came back but not enough and lost, 9-8.

Sanchez got spectacular support from Pirates fans in his All-Star bid. Because he was not projected as the team's starting third baseman, he wasn't on the ballot. But the fans made him the leading write-in vote-getter and he finished fifth among third basemen.

But it wasn't the vote total that made Sanchez an All-Star. He did this on his own with a season that All-Star manager Phil Garner could not ignore.

He might not be an All-Star to fans across the country, but those who know the game understand he belongs.

Sanchez, labeled a utility player since his days with the Boston Red Sox, had a hard time putting into words what the selection means.

"Coming out of spring training and not knowing how many at-bats I'd get and knowing my role as a utility player, it's unbelievable. I can't describe it."

Leyland might have said it best with his actions.

When Jason Bay doubled with one out in the ninth and the Pirates trailing by one run, Leyland went against the book and put the winning run on base when he intentionally walked Sanchez.

It was an unorthodox move, but considering the batter in question not unwise.

"He's hot," said Leyland of Sanchez. "He's Mr. Clutch. He might hit one out to win it. The guy has a great chance to get a base hit.

"I normally don't do it under those circumstances. But if [Joe] Randa [the next batter] gets a base hit and beats me, I can live with that. But I can't live with letting Sanchez tie it up or beat me."

High praise from the game's best manager, but deserving. It didn't go unnoticed by Sanchez.
"That was kind of crazy," he said. "I didn't expect that at all. It's obviously an honor. It was a great sign of respect."

And it worked.

Closer Todd Jones unintentionally walked Randa to load the bases but struck out Jose Castillo and retired Humberto Cota on an infield bouncer.

Leyland wasn't exaggerating when he called Sanchez "Mr. Clutch." Twice earlier in the game he had delivered doubles that drove in two runs. That left him with a .390 (30 for 77) batting average with runners in scoring position , fourth best in the league.

Nor was Leyland overestimating Sanchez' ability to get a base hit.

When he stepped to the plate in the ninth inning, his batting average at PNC Park was .406.

But that's not the height of the amazing numbers put up by Sanchez. He leads the National League in batting average against left-handed pitchers, .500 (26 for 52).

If others doubted, including the Pirates who signed Randa to a $4 million contract to play third base, Sanchez did not.
"You have to have confidence in this
game," he said. "I always felt, given the opportunity, that I can do some things. In the minors, I felt I did everything I could. I know it's hard to break that utility label. You get that label and that's all you are. But I felt if I got a shot, I could do it. Now that I have my chance, I've tried to run with it."

Actually, he's sprinted with it.

When Randa got hurt early, after playing poorly, Sanchez took over and played in a manner that made a return to the starting lineup for Randa impossible.

Can he continue to be a .363 hitter?

"I don't know about that," he said. "I never set a number as far as hitting. When you set a number, you limit yourself. I feel I want to get a hit every time."

He's not quite doing that. It only seems that way.

(Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1468. )

No comments: