Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Polamalu a Hit From All Angles


By Rob Rossi
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 19, 2005

HOUSTON -- Eventually, Troy Polamalu will perform in such a way that he satisfies his harsh critic.

That would be himself.

Yesterday wasn't that day.

Forget the three quarterback sacks he recorded against Houston Texans quarterback David Carr -- a feat Polamalu guessed he hadn't pulled off since a Turkey Bowl when he was 4 years old.

Pay no attention to the wasted timeouts or delay-of-game penalties he forced upon Houston's offense with his pre-snap maneuvering.

And, certainly, don't believe Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who's coached some of the game's best defenders, but who yesterday called Polamalu "as instinctive a football player as (he's) been around."
Never mind any of the above. That's Polamalu's plan.

The Steelers' third-year safety said he has a long way to go before his level of play matches his expectations.

"There's still a lot of stuff I need to work on," he said. "I know that we were gashed a couple of times out there because I wasn't able to get to my run-fit. So, I'm disappointed about that."

Otherwise, Polamalu's effort against the Texans provided a clear view of the type of damage he can cause on the field. At different points, sometimes on different plays, he was acting as a fourth down linemen or a fifth linebacker or a third cornerback -- and, sometimes, even as a strong safety, which is his natural position.

"I played a little bit of everything today; I've been doing that all year, actually," Polamalu said.
"He's one of those rare guys who can play real deep, intermediate and at the line of scrimmage," said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who has allowed Polamalu the freedom to roam.
"He's been making me look really good."

LeBeau admitted that coaching Polamalu has brought back memories of Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake -- star defensive backs who played under LeBeau during his first stint as the club's defensive coordinator in the mid-1990s.

"He's similar to those guys in that he has good size and speed and can really run, yet he can blitz, too," LeBeau said. "I think he enjoys playing in our system, just like they did."
Polamalu acknowledged yesterday he felt blessed to have landed in the Steelers' 3-4 defensive scheme.

Of course, part of what makes Polamalu effective is his mental prowess.

"Honestly, I pick quarterbacks' brains," he said. "I pick receivers brains on what's going to be hard on them.
"It's actually (Steelers' fullback) Dan Kreider who told me, 'Hey man, if you do this and do that ...' I said, 'OK, I'm going to try that someday.' "

Someday became yesterday's game, after which teammate Joey Porter promised of Polamalu, "I tell people he is one of those players that people will talk about long after he is gone."

Through two games this season, Polamalu has nine tackles, three sacks, two pass defenses and an interception.

Polamalu isn't impressed.

"I'm not there yet," he insisted. "Believe me, I'm far from there."

Rob Rossi can be reached at rrossi@tribweb.com or (412) 380-5635.

No comments: