Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Joe Rutter: Bay Makes Run as Complete Player


By Joe Rutter
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 16, 2005

As the Pirates' best hitter, Jason Bay is used to getting the green light at the plate. Until recently, he'd never had that privilege on the base paths.

Now that he's gotten it, he's taking full advantage.

About three weeks ago, Bay was given permission to start running on his own. And run he has. Bay has swiped five bases since Aug. 6, and nine bases in the past 22 games to increase his team-leading total to 14 steals.

More impressively, that's 14 steals in 14 attempts.

"I've been picking and choosing my spots and running when I think it's the right situation," Bay said. "I don't consider myself a big stolen base guy, but it's nice to be able to run more often."

By adding another component to his game -- speed -- Bay has taken another step toward becoming one of the most well-rounded players in the National League. This month, Bay is batting .380 with 15 RBI. For the season, his numbers include a .305 batting average, 23 home runs, 69 RBI, 35 doubles and 85 runs scored.

Asked to grade Bay's performance, manager Lloyd McClendon smiled and said, "To this point, A-plus."

It's the way Bay has taken to the running game that has elevated his grade. He had 23 stolen bases in 2003, his last minor-league season, but did little last year to show he was worthy of being considered a threat on the bases. Bay had just four steals in 10 attempts.

"The only way to get the green light is to give them reason to give it to you," Bay said. "It's not necessarily that I'm that fast. I just try to be smart about it."

McClendon thinks Bay is one of the smartest baserunners on the team.

With the Pirates struggling to generate offense after the All-Star break, McClendon took the restrictions off Bay.

"I'm not a Juan Pierre or anything, but I can steal a few bases here and there," Bay said. "If they're holding me on, I know I'm not fast enough to beat a quick move and a quick throw. If I feel like I can run when a pitcher is a little slow or I can get a good jump, I can probably steal 20-30 bases a year."

With 44 games remaining, Bay would need seven homers and 16 steals to reach the exclusive 30-30 club. He's on pace to get the necessary homers, but likely doesn't have enough time to reach 30 steals.

There's always next year.

"That's what I originally predicted," McClendon said. "I thought he could get 20 this year and eventually be a 30-30 guy."

It's pretty heady stuff that Bay even merits 30-30 consideration. A 30-30 season has been accomplished nine times in the major leagues since 2000, and only two players (Carlos Beltran and Bobby Abreu) accomplished the feat last season.

In Pirates annals, Barry Bonds is the franchise's only 30-30 player, and he did it twice.
"If you can snag five steals a month, it's definitely possible," Bay said. "Obviously, the more steals you get, the more people are watching you, and it's going to be tougher."

A more attainable goal for Bay this season is the 20-20 club. It's a less-heralded group, one that has just five members. Dave Parker, Andy Van Slyke and Bonds had 20 homers and 20 steals on three occasions, and Al Martin and Kevin Young joined the club in 1999.

Whether his base stealing takes him to those benchmarks remains to be seen. What can be answered definitively is that Bay is taking the necessary steps toward improving every facet of his game.

"I thought he would improve this year, and I think he'll get even better next year," McClendon said. "His overall game will get better. If we can get more pieces in the lineup around him, put a better supporting cast out there, think how good he can be."

Joe Rutter can be reached at jrutter1234@aol.com.

No comments: