Thursday, January 20, 2005

USA Today: Unselfish Ward is Pittsburgh's Man of Steel


Wed Jan 19,11:53 AM ET

Sports - USATODAY.com
By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

One of the defining plays this season by Hines Ward didn't involve a touchdown grab or even a reception. On the TV screen, he was simply a blur.

Pittsburgh Steelers (news) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had taken off on a scramble during a game at Cleveland. Running full tilt, Ward launched his body and leveled pursuing 320-pound defensive tackle Orpheus Roye.

"I only know one way to play this game, and that's to play each play like it's your last," says Ward, a 6-foot, 215-pound wide receiver who'll bring that approach to Sunday's AFC title game against the New England Patriots (news).

"I don't try to be Randy Moss. I don't try to be Marvin Harrison or T.O. (Terrell Owens). I just try to be the most complete wideout I can be."

Though Ward, 28, is the first Steeler with four consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons, he had just four touchdown catches after amassing 22 the two previous years. But in an offense rededicated to the running game, his receiving, blocking and hustle earned him his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl berth.

'ULTIMATE TEAM PLAYER'

In Saturday's 20-17 overtime playoff victory against the New York Jets (news), his 4-yard touchdown on a shovel pass in the final quarter sent the game into overtime. He had a key third-down catch on the drive for the winning field goal.

On a day Roethlisberger struggled, Ward caught 10 passes, of the 17 completed by the rookie, for 105 yards. Ward accounted for 35.2% of Roethlisberger's completions this season, the highest such percentage for any receiver/quarterback combo in the NFL. (Related item: Ward, Roethlisberger stay on target)

"He's a consummate pro. He does whatever you ask him to do," says Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

"He still makes plays in the pass game when you need him. ... He has been the ultimate team player. ... His production was down a little bit, but he doesn't care. He's focused on us winning games."

During a game, you will see Ward grin after a catch or block. He comes up smiling even after taking a hard hit from a defender.

"When I strap it up, there's no better place to be than being on the field and having 50-60,000 fans cheering for you," he says. "I know I'm blessed each and every Sunday I step on the field, so I'm going to make the most of it."

COMPLIMENTS OF HINES WARD

Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, now with the Dallas Cowboys (news), wrote a book, Just Throw Me the Damn Ball!

At the Steelers' training complex, Ward has a Bible passage posted that reads, in part: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or a vain conceit. ... Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to interests of others."

Before the Steelers played Philadelphia this season, Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson called Ward "a great blocker ... probably the best blocker we'll face all year as far as the wide receiver."

Ward is always mixing it up downfield. Over the years, that has made for exchanges with defensive backs around the league.

As Baltimore Ravens (news) coach Brian Billick put it before a game against Pittsburgh: "Yeah. Hines Ward (ticks) me off all the time, but I'd take him in a New York second. I'd love to have him on my team."

Ward smiles at Billick's remark. "That's probably the best compliment for me that anybody could give," he says.

Ward finished this regular season with 80 catches for 1,004 yards. In addition to his four receiving touchdowns, he had a rushing touchdown. In 2002, he had 112 catches, 1,329 yards and 12 touchdowns.

"It's not all just about me and my catches," he says. "I've proven myself for the last four years. I've put up stats with some of the greatest wideouts out there. When people ask me how I feel about my catches going down, I don't have any control of that. I can't throw myself the ball. At the same time, I do other things to help this team win."

FAMILY GUY

Ward, who grew up in the Atlanta area, says his approach to football comes from his mother, Young Ward, a native of South Korea (news - web sites).

Divorced from Ward's father, a former U.S. serviceman, Young Ward worked multiple jobs to provide for her son. "Here's a lady who comes to the country and nobody gave her anything," Ward says.

"She didn't know English. She went out and worked the cashier's job, the produce job, cleaning hotels. ... Everything she got, she earned, and that's how my career is. Nothing was ever given to me."

At Forest Park (Ga.) High School, where Ward starred at quarterback as a junior and senior, he was coached by Mike Parris. Ward says Parris became "kind of the father I didn't have." They remain close and talk by phone after every game.

Parris says that in high school, Ward also starred on defense.

"Hines was as good at free safety as he is anything," Parris says. "He loved to hit people. ... At free safety, I'd put him in some positions sometimes. The next thing I'd know, he'd be lined up on the line of scrimmage."

At Georgia, Ward played quarterback, tailback and wide receiver, while also returning punts and kickoffs. The Steelers made him a third-round pick in 1998. He had hoped to be selected by the Atlanta Falcons (news), but they took Miami's Jammi German in the third round.

"I guess he had a higher rating," Ward says. "My production at Georgia showed I could play. It didn't go that way, though."

German had an undistinguished career. Ward has delivered.

"Of course I'm a little prejudiced, but to me he's the best all-around receiver in the NFL," Parris says. "He is not the fastest. He might not have the greatest hands, but he's going to do everything for you. He's going to block. He's going to do everything he can to win a football game. He's a complete player and always has been."

No comments: